The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
JacquiPanter

Re: King Cole Owl Collection (No: 9016) pattern

Good Morning All

I have purchased the above referenced pattern in order to knit the owl toy and am stuck already on the body part. The pattern involves two colours of wool (A and B) and uses the intarsia method.The instructions are as follows:

With A cast on 18 sts for base (first row ws)

First row: Join B, P6A, 6B, 6A
Continue working colours as set
Next row: [inc 1] to end (36 sts)
P1 row
Next row: [inc 1, k1] to end (54 sts)
Ss 3 rows
Next row: [inc 1, k2] to end (72 sts)
Ss 27 rows
Next row: [k1, k2tog] to end (48 sts)
P1 row

So, after casting on the 18 sts in A, do I then purl 6 sts in A, join B and purl 6 stitches in B and then purl the last 6 sts with a new ball of A? 
What does the 'continue working colours as set' mean and how do I incorporate that in the following rows.
Any help greatly appreciated as owl is for a new baby who doesn't sleep. Her Dad drives her round the countryside looking at owls and I would like to make this for her! Thank you xx

Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven't actually knitted this owl as I have pattern 9022.

However firstly I would wind some of yarn A into a new ball then as you say after casting on you purl 6 in A  6 in B then 6 in separate ball of A. This will avoid strands across the back of the knitting which you might inadvertently pull too tight and knitting will pucker.

You basically have 3 strips of colour across your needles  A B A so when you increase you knit them same colour as strip.

After 1st increase row you will 12 sts in A  12 sts in B and 12 sts in A

After 2nd increase 18 sts in A  18sts in B and 18 sts in A

Hope you can understand this. Let me know