The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
elainelgc

Do you find knitting & crochet therapeutic?

We are putting together a feature for issue 60 of LGC Knitting & Crochet about the therapuetic benefits of knitting and crochet. How has knitting & crochet helped you in your life? We'd love you to share your stories.

Hi Elaine. :) I originally learnt to knit for a brownie badge many years ago, then didn't knit again 'til I got very ill. I just picked up my child-size needles to see if I remembered how to do it and never put them down. It took my mind off how ill I was and all the worry of whether I'd ever be well enough to return to work. I must have been knitting over 5 years now and it's distracted me from lots of things I couldn't switch off from, been a comfort when I needed it and given me new challenges - good ones - to focus on. It's all about creating something slowly from scratch so has helped me adjust to a much slower paced life - it's taught me to appreciate each stitch like you learn to appreciate each moment through meditation.

Hope that's not too waffly! I wouldn't give up knitting or crocheting for the world. :)

Oh Elaine it has been a roller coaster ride for me the past few years, nanny and then my bmf's mum taught me to sew, knit and crochet and each time I have had a trauma in my life it has kept me going. Especially both after my first and second stroke, my family knew I was recovering when i asked for my needles and yarn. Since then I developed Fibromyligia and cardiomyopathy and have learnt when I need to relax but can't sit without doing something so again crafting keeps me calm and sane.

Two years ago my husband of 32 years took ill and was on a life support machine, I sat by his bed knitting and talking to him as if he was in the chair next to me at home. When we had to switch off his support and he passed away my family and friends kept me together requesting hand knits that they 'just couldn't do without'

Since then my knitty friends both on here and at the natter and knit I go to have helped and supported me so much.

Last year I lost a very dear friend and decided to dedicate my knitting for most of the year to charity in her name. Then just before last Christmas my first grandchild came into the world and now I have another purpose to knit.

Edited by knittingqueenuk

Thanks knit&flee for your response. Lots of people tell me they learnt to knit in the Brownies and i also had a Brownie leader tell me this week that she was about to teach her pack, so it's lovely that it's still being passed down!

Thanks also to knittingqueenuk. So sorry to hear about your struggles with illness and your husband's passing but it's brilliant that knitting has kept you so strong. Knitting groups, both online and offline, are so important aren't they, and it's wonderful to hear about your charity and family knitting.

Thanks again ladies. 

I certainly find crochet therapeutic and as a plus you end up with something lovely (hopefully!) at the end :P

I first learned how to knit when I was around 20.  My then MIL showed me how to cast on, knit and purl & I attempted to make a batwing jumper and soon gave up as there were just too many stitches.  I attempted again when expecting my youngest daughter then gave up again quickly.  When we moved countries though I had no friends or family around me & took up knitting again as a hobby to keep me sane and subsequently found new friends through my hobby.  I then taught myself to crochet.  There's something relaxing about the repetition of stitches and equally working complicated patterns keeps your mind active and I'm sure if my hands didn't get the exercise they'd seize up :)