The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Chloethewhovian

Cutting mats, craft knives etc.

I've just bought another #4 swann morton handle with 5 blades off of Amazon for less than £5 Inc p&p. I have 2 #3s and 2 #4s and a Stanley knife. I have a variety of different blades for different jobs. Heed the warning though they are extremely sharp.... As my right foot found out with I accidently dropped one! Don't use excessive force as the blades can snap and stay clear of the disposable ones, the handles aren't sturdy enough to cope imo!

As far as the cutting board goes, I agree the works its usually the best place price wise. I have a few different sized actually cutting mats but I also have a few 'homemade disposable one's'. These I get cheap breadboards from the £store and one of their baking trays, I then hot glue the board to the tray to give it a bit of substance. This are great for your the jobs that I need the Stanley knife for as it doesn't if it gets too cut up whilst also providing a catching area around the board! Xx

ooooh Bobsie........cutting with a mat on your lap brings back a horror story for me.....some years ago I ended up with a nasty gsh in my leg through working in that same way...but then, you are probably more careful than I am....one who is easily distracted....I would say best to always have a firm base.Mind you, I have also cut myself when working on a table, so probably me being in need of armour plating.......

I have a little hint regarding using cutting mats....if you put a piece of cardboard (old cornflake packet is ok)on top of the cutting mat where you are going to cut, put whatever you are cutting on top of that..the blade will go through the soft surface of the cardboard, giving a very clean cut and not cutting too heavily into the cutting mat itself....I do that when cutting mounts for my paintings.......works great.