The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Abbi Henderson

LET'S KNIT - QUESTION OF THE MONTH (November 2013)

LET'S KNIT - QUESTION OF THE MONTH (November 2013)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should knitting be taught in schools?

• Yes, I think children should be taught to knit at school.
    • No, I don't think children should be taught to knit at school.

yes i think they should ... or at least make it optional

great for hand/eye co-ordination

mediative (in, over,through,off, in, over,through,off) ... the repetative nature of knitting can be quite calming, also great for training concentration

problem solving ... a dropped stitch, say no more :D

even maths ... counting stitches, counting rows, or if more advanced colour changes

could be an option during lunchtime ... have lunch then go to "knitting room", and with the Great British weather being so changable it's an inside hobby, but can also be done outside when it's sunny

possible community based tasks could also be done ... eg knit a square, make a blanket for charity or a yarnie mural for the school, the kids can get involved in the planning as well as the working so can teach them to work together

SOOOOOO many great learning experiences can be had

Definitely. When my children were in junior school I went as a parent helper and taught loads of kids to knit. We made many basic jumpers that were sent to Oxfam who sent them to Africa

No I don't think they should be taught in school unless its as something they can chose to do as an extra activity.  I'm currently living in Ireland and so many women over here shudder when you mention knitting because they were forced to learn it in school, found it a struggle and it put them off for life!  I think children are far more likely to enjoy it if they don't find it a chore because its something they have no choice but to do :)

I was taught to knit in primary school, was always the best bit of the day I looked forward to. It's helped me be the knitter I am now :)

It would probably help with students that suffer from stress or anxiety, the calming repetition of knitting would help chill them out