The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Rianna Fry

Festive Treats

We're in full Christmas swing at HQ currently and I've been really inspired by all the exciting makes we have lined up. Which got me thinking about setting myself a festive craft challenge, to make my very own gingerbread house. It's not something I've attempted before, so I wondered if any of you had any good tips and advice, or a tried and tested recipe? 

Thank you  :)

Only thing I can suggest is make templates of sides and roof etc out of greaseproof paper.  Good luck and looking forward to seeing a pic of the finished house

Oh, Rianna...my daughter makes several gingerbread houses every Christmas...All started because I had made her one when she was 9 years old....(she is now 46).  I must ask her for her ideas and know how......she will probably still have the photos of last years (a village almost)....if so I will post it...I know she makes them so that when the roof is taken off or the door taken away there would be hidden treausres inside the house...Knowing my daughter it would probably be even more sweeties....depending on which family it is going to..(I think that is a marvellous idea). Will contact her over the weekend......and see what treasures I can find for you. Cheers...Mary

There are lots of templates online, remember to cut them out before baking and then trim again after, as the gingerbrea will spread. Yes, boiled sweets make good widows, though don't try anything two big. I would recomend having someone help you put them together as it is quite fiddily to hold the panels in place and 'cement' them together one at a time. Make sure your royal icing is pretty thick if you are doing icicles as they wont hold otherwise (or stiff butter icing if you are making for very small children, but royal holds better). And it is easiest if after making them up you leave them overnight to dry before you attempt to decorate them.