The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
kerryLK

QUESTION OF THE MONTH - Have you tried knitting with British yarns?

QUESTION OF THE MONTH

Hi All

I hope you've been enjoying the weather we've been having recently. I must admit I have been more than grateful for the occasional rain and thunderstorms that have been going on (being in the last trimester of my pregnancy they've been a welcome relief from the heatwave we've been having!)

Right, question time....

Have you tried knitting with British yarns?

If you have, what do you think of them? Do you have a particular type that you prefer? What have you made with your British yarns?

If you haven't, is there a reason why? Do you think you will in the future? 

As always we love to hear from you, and your responses may be featured in the next issue of Let's Knit!

Best Regards

Kerry

Yes I have knitted and have British yarn to knit/crochet, I made a shrug in Pure Gotland (Heartbeat land) 4ply adding sequins to it for a friends birthday a couple of years ago. It was a pleasure to knit with and to say they are sheep who have to be tough to survive it was surprisingly soft. I have some alpaca DKish in brown and some in cream that was a birthday present and I know exactly where this came from which is not far from me , I pass the alpacas every time I go to the farm shop and had said for ages that I wonder what they do with the fleeces, it is heaven just to feel the soft yarn. Of course years ago Aran wool came from British sheep but it was course and had bits of wood in it which ripped your hands to pieces, I'm so glad not to have to knit with it anymore.

Edited by knittingqueenuk

I use yarn that is from British yarn companies but I know some of it is spun in Turkey.

I also have alpaca yarn from a local supplier and I used to use yarn from a couple of the northern yarn mills.

I used to knit with airedale aran yarn, it was beautiful to knit with but due to the rising costs of it I've had to go back to cheaper wools and only buy British wools when I can afford to

I'd love to knit with British Yarns, but yarn that comes from British Sheep, that is spun and dyed in Britain is just too expensive for me. 

Edited by Knithulu