The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Holly Shackleton

Share your crafty tips here!

When you work with plastic canvas and know that you'll be making more of that particular item IE, ornaments or magnets, first cut out your shape on a dark colored sheet of PC and store the templete with your pattern.  This way whenever you want to make another of the same item. just use the template and cut around it.  Also there are several ways you can secure the template to the PC to be cut: 1) put a paper fastener through the holes of both pieces, 2) cut cotton tipped swaps in 1/2 and insert the stick portion through the holes..the swab holds it in place, 3) use the pick that is used to hold hair rollers in place...cut off most of the pick leaving the knobby end and approx. 1" and this can also be inserted throught the holes to hold the 2 pieces of PC together. 

I create jewellery, but I use a variety of beads so I bag beads of the same cost together e.g. all beads that cost 5p each together etc, so that when I come to price the piece of jewellery I know exactly what it cost to make no matter the different cost of each bead!

If you craft with beads and knock a box of them over (which I manage to do, often) instead of picking them up by hand (or attempting to!), cut the foot off an old pair of tights and put it over the hoover nozzle and it will suck them up into it - keep the power on until you're holding the hoover over a container where you want to collect them, then turn it off. Much easier.

The only downside is if you haven't hoovered your carpet for a while, you might have bits of fluff in with your beads!!