The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
kerryLK

QUESTION OF THE MONTH - Does anybody machine knit?

With the question of the month upon us, this is as good a time as any to introduce myself as the newest member of the Let's Knit editorial team.

Hi!

So, do any of you machine knit? If you do, how did you get into it? Do you prefer it to hand knitting? Is there specific types of knitting you only do on a machine?

Let us know, we'd love to hear your answers.

Thanks

Kerry

Hi Kerry hope your enjoying working for let's knit :)

I've only ever loom knitted which I love! But I have been asked if I'd like a knitting machine, that an old lady (that my family know) wants to just get rid of, so I might be taking up machine knitting :)

Hi Kerry and welcome.

I used to have a knitting machine many moons ago. I made all my sons jumpers and they designed their own (aged 7 -10) and often helped knitting the "straight bits" I also made my self skirts and jackets.

Once my sons stopped wearing hand made jumpers that was it and my machine was put away and later sold. I joined a machine knitting club and many members joined my knitty group when they gave up their machines too. We've been together at my knitty club for well over 20 years.

We now enjoy hand knitting and crochet (easier on the joints then sliding a carriage back and forth :lol: )

Hi Kerry congratulations on being in the editorial team. I had 2 knitting machines back in 1985 and knitted my daughters intarsia jumpers with the punch cards and lots of kids jumpers for family and friends then I got a chunky knitting machine and did a lot of cable stitches and scarves ect. I sold them both as I had to go out to work and youngest daughter went to school. I recently bought another chunky knitting machine that takes all kind of wool, my main reason for buying one is because it is so quick I get bored of a project if it takes to long to make. So only big things get made on my machine, I mainly crochet now little small amigurami toys, and fit in other crafts at the same time but my machine is there in the craft cupboard ready for a big project.

Hello Kerry :)

My fella offered to buy me a knitting machine and I did look into it but I decided I could do with one less thing to learn at the time as I was trying to learn the knook and loom knitting. I think in the future I might like one for doing big projects like stakreem as I get bored easily too :lol:

I once got one second hand in the 80's, but didn't take to it.

My neighbour thought hers was great and made and sold lots of things,

but it became too much like work.

I like the feel of hand-knitting,

and SO virtuous when I've conquered something tricky,

or used my time productively when riding shotgun in the car or watching TV.