The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
AmorSuerte

New to Jewellery making, need help.

I'm new to jewellery making and so far I've only made basic beaded bracelets and want to begin more challanging things, I've been looking at metal clay which looks like it could be fun to use, and also I've read alot of articles about using resin but I'm not too sure what it is? Could somebody please give me some tips to get started? :question:

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Resin and Precious Metal Clay are both still on my "to do list" so I can't give you any tips from personal experience I'm afraid. Have you seen the projects on the Make Jewellery part of the website. There are some resin and PMC projects that might give you some ideas. :lol:

It is .925 silver coated in a clay material. Once your design is mad you would fire(using a hand held flame torch thingy) it and then using a wire brush, brush the caly away.

i bought a silver clay kit but found it really fiddly. It's fine silver bound with clay and it was a bit expensive i found to make a small pendant which was a hit or a miss on how it turned out. I felt it was a bit expensive to practice on, maybe copper clay would be better. I started a silversmithing class about 2 years ago and found it really easy to work with proper silver wire or sheet metal and much cheaper.

if you really like the idea of metal clay, i'd start off with something other than silver until you are confident in making projects.