The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
the_oracle_jennie

sock trouble

Hi Oracle, did you purl just the 2 needles with 15 sts on each? That's the bit that sets up the heel. You need to ignore the other 30 sts on the front needle for now.

On the 2 back needles only (you might find transferring them all onto one easier, but do what you did before if you can remember):

K1, [sl1 p-wise] rpt to last st, K1.

P next row.

Rpt these 2 rows 8 times (so do 20 rows total)

Next bit is to turn the heel. I reckon you'll need to:

K15, sl1, K1, psso, K1, turn.

P4, P2tog, P1, turn.

K5, sl1, K1, psso, K1, turn.

P6, P2tog, P1, turn.

Cont. to dec. 'til you have 20 sts, finishing after a P row.

The next bit is shaping the gusset, which I'll work out later if the above sounds like it's working OK. I normally work toe-up, so I'm thinking what I'd normally do backwards whilst converting the no. of sts I normally work with to what you're working with. My little brain needs a break! Let me know how you get on. :)

ok done the heel :-) brilliant much easier then i remember then last time, it does look a lil different but its mine so i dont mind it

so in future i think will stick to ur way thanks *beams*

just want to confirm the gusset next part as my memory isnt brillaint...

if i remember correctly its spread the st back on 3 needles (the heel on one alone) and then decrease each end of the heel but i cant remember until what number ?

after that i remember it was knit til 18cms before the toe

again thanks for help in advance and i still may have my sock for xmas *dances*

OK I'm home! Gusset is next. Break off yarn and rejoin at instep corner. Pick up and K10sts evenly along side of heel flap, K the 20sts on your needle, then pick up and K10sts evenly along other heel flap (40 sts). Turn.

1. Do 3 rows of st st (P, K, P).

2. K1, sl 1, K1, psso, K to last 3sts, K2tog, K1.

Rpt these 2 steps 'til you have 30sts.

The next bit is the foot part, so you go back to knitting in rounds from this point - you should have 60sts again. K 'til sock foot is the required length, then dec for toe shaping. Are you alright from that bit? You mentioned you have a new way of doing them I think. Shout if you need a hand - I'll try and check back tomorrow. :)

Hope that all works OK. :)