The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Skintknitter

Issue 45 Chunky Mitts

Yes,the 10mm needles and the orange and white yarns stated in the pattern,I must just have massive hands!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really must have man-hands,I knitted the collette mitts with the free wool from Lets Knit and they are too small aswell! Waaahh! :down:

Having now developed a bit of a complex about my sasquatch-esque paws,I decided to measure them,my wrists are 8 inches around,the widest part of my hand,the bottom of my palm(measured from just below the base of my thumb around) is just under 10 inches,the upper part of my palm (measured between my thumb and base of my fingers around) is 8 inches,the length of my palm from the top of my middle finger to the bottom of my palm is 7 inches,my fingers and thumbs are 3 inches around,the length of my index finger is 2 and a half inches as is my ring finger,my middle finger is 3 inches long and my pinkie and thumbs are both just over 2 inches long.Given these measurements,I'm curious to know what the "Average Lady's" are,and,How far outside them am I?

Hi, so sorry you were disappointed with your mitts :(.

A few ladies have made them and they seemed happy with the sizing. An medium sized ladies glove is approximately 7 inches around the palm, so I designed the mitts to fit this medium/average size. Normally, I would have provided a larger sizing too, but there wasn't enough yarn to make a larger pair.

If you have any similar chunky yarn in your stash like Sirdar big softie (50g ball) you may be able to squeeze a larger pair out of one ball. All the better if you have 2 balls as you could work a longer rib.

The tension for big softie is 9 sts per 4 inches, so 2 sts should give you almost an extra inch around the palm. Just cast on 16 sts instead of 14, follow the pattern to row 5. Then work row 5 as K9, m1, K9 (19 sts). Do the same for Rows 7 and 13 (i.e. knitting 9 sts at the beginning and end of the row). Try slipping 8 sts for the thumb instead of 7.

Hope that helps.

Lynne Rowe