The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
nigeld_1968

How/where to sell jewellery?

Hi everyone

I've been making jewellery for a while now and I think I'm now at the stage where I'd like to sell a piece every now and then. I'm not looking to start making huge amounts of something though.

So what I'm wondering is how is the best way to try and sell some handmade jewellery? Is Ebay a viable option? I've seen mixed comments about usine Ebay so I'm not sure.

Are there any alternative to Ebay that may be better suited?

Any help, advice or tips greatfully received.

Thanks

NIgel

Hi Nigel. I don't have any problems with ebay just remember you may have to pay an insertion free (unless its a free week-end) and also a sellers fee. You could try Folksy or perhaps a page on Facebook. Perhaps you could send a letter/email for readers page of Make Jewellery and someone else may come up with alternative ideas

Hi

What about a local gallery - sometimes they will display a few pieces for you and take some commission on sales. It all depends on the value and uniqueness of what you are making, this works well if its relatively high value and different from other craftspeoples offerings, otherwise an on-line site might suit better.

S

Or local craft fairs? understandably they can be a bit hit and miss, but look for one where the table space isn't too dear and if you want to book in always make sure and ask if they already have many jewellery sellers and if they dont ask if they will be limiting the number of similar crafts!

I'm setting up a fair in November and I have made sure that I dont have any more than two tables of the same craft as I feel it's unfair to the sellers if they have too much competition on the day....hope this helps!

Ps...always a good idea to bring your own fabric table cloth and maybe ask to be near a electrical socket for your own extra lighting!