The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
CmdrVimes

best place to start?....

I have always wanted to learn how to crochet. I've never gotten round to learning...

Can one or more of you wonderful people suggest where to start?

I cannot learn from tutorial videos, as I am unable to correctly process oral information.

I have subscribed to the Let's Get Crafting magazine, in hopes of learning from there, will it teach me from the start, or does it concentrate more on improving existing basic skills?

Got to wait for magazine anyway as I do not possess a crochet hook! :lol:

Hi Beowulf if you cannot learn from videos then a book with good pictures would help. I would recommend The Crochet Bible by Sue Whiting.

LGC is a good source too. There are pictures of the basic stitches and lots of patterns to choose from.

Once yourmag arrives you will definately be " hooked" :lol: and if you have any problems just give a shout.

Yes- the back of the LGC mag does have pics,

speaking as one who has used them.

And the good thing about LGC is

it comes equipped with the hook, pins and yarn ready for the off!

Hope you don't have to wait too long!

Good luck!

I am sorry for bumping such an old post, but I just wanted to update that I am on my way to learning all there is to know about crochet, I have a long long way to go though.

I have subscribed to The Art Of Crochet, which sends me 4 issues every four weeks, with the yarn needed to create that issue's square for the throw, I have also received all the wonderful free gifts that come with it.

I got stuck on working in the round, I didn't understand it, but after having watched the granny square tutorial video on this website, it has made the written instructions more clear, so if I get stuck again, I know to google what I am stuck on and watch the relevant videos, to ensure that I know what I am doing! :-)

Wish me luck! :-)