The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Linda Lee

Knitted flowers

I've just knitted a petal for the Quick Knit Flower Brooch - see Knit Wise, page 57, issue no.54.

I really could not see how the instructions were going to produce a petal, but trust me, they do!

I think I might use some of the Jubilee Kit wool to make red, white and blue flower brooches to sell on a charity stall at a Jubilee coffee morning.

Hi and welcome to the forum Linda. If you have any questions just let me know. Have you put a photo of your brooch on the Finished Objects thread.

Looking forward to seeing you around. As Annie says its always nice to have new members

Thank you, Annie and Goose - what a nice welcome!

Re photos - well, first I've got to knit the flowers, then I've got to find my way round my new camera...so, no promises!!

LLx

Hi

I too am trying to knit the brooch, but being a beginner have stumbled at the first fence (ie started and unravelled several times!!).

Cast on 14 stitches

Row 1: (k1, sl 1 pwise wyib) six times

Rep last row 19 times

So, I cast on 14 stitches, then I knit one stitch and then slip one purlwise with yarn staying at the back of the knitting. That takes care of two stitches, so I then repeat the two stitches in brackets another 6 times (which completes the whole row of 14 stitches).

Then, when I turn the knitting to start the second row, as I slipped the last stitch on the previous row, the yarn is now hanging down from the 2nd stitch to be knitted - how do you knit with the yarn to complete the first k1 stitch on the second row if the yarn is hanging from the second stitch and not the first (if you know what I mean).

If anyone has completed a petal, can you please tell me how you did it - as I keep unravelling my work as it looks really odd.

Thanks