The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Golder

Is this pattern (still) wrong or am I?

I'm getting stuck into a pattern from a booklet that came with the July 2011 issue of Let's Knit (yes, I know it's December now).

It seemed like it had been printed incorrectly so I checked the Pattern Updates section on the website and yes, a correction has been printed ( http://www.letsknit.co.uk/index.php/pattern_corrections/from/issue_44 ). However, it seems to me there is still an outstanding error and I'd be grateful if more experienced knitters could cast a glance below and let me know if I'm right or - entirely possible - that the error is in my lack of understanding!

The pattern is for a baby's hat (pattern name is 'Frankie') and you cast on 86 (100, 114, 121, 121, 128) sts.

After a few rows garter st, the pattern commences as follows:

Row 1 (RS): p2 (2, 2, 0, 2, 0) k5, * p2, k5, rep from * to last 2 (2, 2, 0, 2, 0) sts, p2 (2, 2, 0, 2, 0)

Now, I'm doing the 4th largest size (the middle one in the brackets) and having knitted a row of the pattern, I have stitches left over.

As I understand it, the pattern says that I should k5 then p2, k5 over and over til end when I should have 0 stitches left.

However, when I do this, I have 4 stitches left.

I've used my maths skills to try and figure this out and it just doesn't make sense that my size and the one next up from it should have the same amount of stitches.

For the sizes either side of mine, the way I figure it is that after you subtract the p2 at the end of the row, the number of stitches remaining has to be divisible by 7 (p2, k5 then *p2, k5 repeating from * til last 2 stitches).

For my size, it would have to be divisible by 7 after you subtract 5 only (p0, k5 then *p2, k5 repeating from * til last 0 stitches). But this doesn't work out because 121 - 5 = 116 which is not divisible by 7.

I looked further down the pattern to see if maybe the mistake was just in the number of stitches to cast on but when you move on to shaping the crown, my size and the size up from it still have the same amount of stitches.

Argh!

Surely I must not be understanding the pattern properly. Help....?

I've just had a look and worked it out and I agree, I am left with 4 stitches too.

Hopefully a mod will be able to get in touch with HQ but that will probably be after the weekend now i'm afraid.

Me again, i've just noticed from your write up ( I can't find my booklet at the mo) that the cast on stitches for sizes 4 and 5 are the same, I guess this is where the problem comes from.

Me again :lol: :lol:

I've now found my copy of the pattern and looking at it there's definately a problem with the number of stitches as all the way through the number of stitches for sizes 4 and 5 are the same and yet the pattern instructions for them are different.