The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Adrienne Chandler

Knitting-related injuries

Blimey .. It is a dangerous hobby.

I have had no major injuries but some yarns suck the moisture from my fingers and can cause the skin to split.. I suffer from this anyway but especially sensitive on my finger tips where the needles press. Need to moisturise regularly.

have sat on a pair of needles once. Needless to say I did stand up again very quickly.

Saw a friend fall onto a pair of her needles once! They had been stored point up in a bag and she tripped. :coolcheese: She was very lucky that they were plastic and snapped before they could penetrate but I never stored my needles that way again. Could have been very nasty

Saw a friend fall onto a pair of her needles once!

Crikey! I've heard of falling onto one's sword but this is a step too far! I hope your friend doesn't get that desperate again :-) (Seriously though I hope she was OK).

I've been lucky enough not to suffer knitting injuries but I have stabbed myself in the fingers using teeny tiny steel crochet hooks. My finest was less than .5mm, a minute little thing and it used to find that tender bit at the side of the index fingernail from time to time :ohh:

Stay safe everyone!

Victoria x

I knit completely differently to my mum, I knit with my needles in front of my (a bit like handlebars) whereas my mum put the needles under her arms. I once tried to knit like my mum just to see if I could and pulled the tendons down the sides of both thumbs, needless to say i've stuck to my way of knitting since :lol:

I knit completely differently to my mum, I knit with my needles in front of my (a bit like handlebars) whereas my mum put the needles under her arms. I once tried to knit like my mum just to see if I could and pulled the tendons down the sides of both thumbs, needless to say i've stuck to my way of knitting since :lol:

I think that is proof that Mum's don't always know best! My mum knits that way too come to think of it, but I just find it really unnatural to do.

I have a habit of putting my dpns in my hair so I don't mislay the working one. It does make life a little dangerous when my OH tries to give me a hug. He's developing very good swerving reactions...