The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
BunnyCrafter

Bamboo v's Metal crochet hook

Hi

I'm just getting in to crochet and so fars i've been using the same metal hook for everything.

I'm looking to get a full set of hooks to play with different yarns but wondered what people's views were regarding bamboo v's metal hooks.

The metal ones seem cheaper but do the bamboo hooks give better results?

Many Many Thanks

hi there i do knitting and only learning to crochet.must admit my preference is metal just because i have been using them since a child.however some say bamboo smoother and your hands dont perspire so much.I have a metal crochet hook so probably continue to use metal.I dont like plastic needles at all.hope you find what suits you and enjoy the crochet

Hi

I have been crocheting and knitting for quite a few years and really do prefer the bamboo needles and hooks as they are so much kinder on your joints.

The bambbo is softer and definatley helps with such difficulties and will also help prevent joint problems starting off.

I have used both and both work equally the same just the bamboo are kinder to your joints.

Hope this helps

mrs sparkle

I have always used metal needles for crochet and knitting. Recently I needed a size 15 knitting needle for a thick yarn scarf I am making and size 12 sock needles set to make a thick hat in the round. The store I regularly buy at only had wooden needles in those sizes. I thought I would give them a try and have to say I am really satisfied with them. At first I was afraid that the needles might "catch" on the yarn but they are extremely smooth and polished.

I love bamboo - used metal all my life until last year - bought a complete set of hooks from ebay for about £8 and they are great :) Also bought a set of short knitting needles ideal for small things :)