The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Andieu

Cable pattern help.

Surprise, surprise, I'm looking for help again!

I've found a lovely cowl pattern that would be great as an Xmas pressie, I went to start it but realised I don't understand the pattern at all.

I've never done cable before, but it's not the abbreviations I'm stuck on, just the actual instructions...they seem really vague.

If anyone cleverer than me has 5 mins, would you mind having a look and explaining what on earth I have to do please!!

The pattern is here on ravelry

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/caera-cowl

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate all your help...more than you know!!

:red:

think you are working both cable patterns at the same time up the cowl so you would start the round with row 1 of cable pattern 1 for that part then the first row of cable pattern 2 and alternate these around the round so you get the desired effect and continue working this for the amount of times that the pattern says, it would of been easier is the person had wrote the pattern like this

Round 1: P2, FC6, (P2, K2) 2 times, P2, BC6, P2, C5B and repeat until end of round

Hope this helps you to try and fathom it out Andi

See now that makes perfect sense....thankyou.

And as pattern1 is 12 rows long and pattern 2 is just 6 rows then when I get to row 7 of pattern 1 I would go bacl to row 1 of pattern 2. Cool. (I hope that's right.)

Thankyou so much Ellen...you've solved the mystery.

Quite why it wasn't written like you did in the first place...

That is how I would do it Andi with the second cable being half as many rows that on row 7 of the first cable would start the second cable pattern instructions again.

Buzy was no problem helping but did take some working out when I saw the pattern could see Andi's confusion.