The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
elainelgc

Should schools teach knitting?

I think it should be an option for children to pursue if they want.. And maybe ask volunteers to help..

I took textiles as an option at school and knitting could come within this subject to learn about different materials..

I think there has been a misconception that knitting is only done by your nan.. People have certainly given me some funny stares until they see the lovely things that can be made.. Also you only need to check out various forums to see knitting is enjoyed by a varied age group, so I think if you get past this children would love to learn..

I run a middle school library and do a knitting club at lunch times, I have a long waiting list. Its very popular with the girls and the boys alike, I think it should be part of the curriculum, we have made pencil cases , mobile phone socks, and are currently working on blankets for the local nursing home.

I run an after school knitting club for the p6 and p7 children in the school I work in, I have 2 teachers who help and while we started with 12 children we have dropped to 6, 2 of whom are boys. In fact one of the boys has just made a beautiful baby jacket for his new baby brother. I think that it should be available to those children who would like to learn but not compulsory.

I teach knitting at my local primary school on a Monday.

I wanted to down-size my work and keep Monday 'free'. I knew if it was simply a day off, I'd get sucked back in. So, I offered to teach knitting for free either as an after-school or during the day activity. The school jumped at my offer.

My research told me lots of schools either want to or do offer knitting but most rely on parent helpers/volunteers to do so.

I started last week and my 'pilot' group is current year 6 who have just done SATs. All the children (28) rotate through my class during the day, boys and girls.

The children loved it, as did I and I can't wait until tomorrow.