The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Charming_Stoat

Starting out with PMC

Aha, here you go, Bahrain Suzie is the lady to ask.....

http://www.crafts-beautiful.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/38226/

Tehehe Thx Purple Cobwebs

Well yes I did post my mint leaf effort recently. It was made of about 1mm thick paste on the leaf and yes it was fired with a torch. Anything that is small ie under 25g can be fired using a torch as long as it is dried well, the leaf was dried on a solid hotplate set to a low temperature. Art Clay publish some handy torch firing tips here: http://www.artclayworld.com/Tips-TechSheets/FiringACSwithgastorch.pdf

I have fired pieces made on a cork clay base with a torch despite the advice in the tips. Its ok as long as you do it in a well ventilated space as the cork gives off noxious fumes when it burns. I do my firing outdoors anyway to avoid setting off the fairly sensitive fire alarm in our apartment block! And the same hollow balls were supported with fibre blanket to prevent them changing shape whilst firing, so this is possible with a torch as long as you dont muffle the piece completely with fibre blanket.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your work soon and hope you love working with silver clay as much as I do.

Well done for attempting this I am so scared of setting the house a fire with the torch that it has put me off:)

At home I was a coawrd too and took the firebrick, torch and piece of clay out onto the balcony table to fire...much to the amusement of my upstairs neighbour who happened to be leaning out of his window for a smoke at the time! The only problem with outdoors firing is checking that the colour is right during the firing process.

Thank you susie, that was really helpful :)

I am going to try the lovely silver egg featured in the MJ magazine once I've tried a few simple flat pieces so I'll bear in mind everything you've said about wood clay.

Salsatigeres - If I post my first efforts here will you have a go? Deal? ;)

Thank you susie, that was really helpful :)

I am going to try the lovely silver egg featured in the MJ magazine once I've tried a few simple flat pieces so I'll bear in mind everything you've said about wood clay.

Salsatigeres - If I post my first efforts here will you have a go? Deal? ;)

I want to have a go at the egg too but I can't find any moulds here in Dubai. Lakeland don't stock them here and the only other ones I found were far too big and ornate, more suitable for something Faberge-like. Will have to wait until I've been back to the UK unless anyone is coming out to Dubai and can bring me some :-)

Look forward to seeing your version.

S