The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
buffyflump

Knit a Poem

Good idea Buffy. I'd thought about doing that too. Can you let us know what the verdict is as I think pretty much all of us are going to have to buy wool specially, when they've said to try and use bits from our stash.

This is the reply I received today:

Hello Helen,

Although we know everyone might not have 100% wool yarn in their stashes, and that it can be a bit pricey to buy, our reason for choosing it, is that the whole piece will displayed outdoors, and since any wool/syntehtic mix yarn would expand differently to 100% wool if wet, we decided to stick with 100% wool, as the simple solution. The poem will be made up of around 1400 individual squares, so any such difference in tension and expansion would effect the whole piece fitting together. I hope that explains our reasoning behind it a bit better.

Some knitters have come with suggestions on where you can buy 100% wool over the internet, that isn't too expensive. See below:

- Kemps have Wendy Wool Emu superwash DK in a range of colours at 99p for 50g (Drop down to pages 27 & 28 for these wools)

- You can get Elle pure wool for £1.25 from RKM Wools, in many beautiful colours.

I understand if you feel it's too expensive, or too much hassle. If you feel you no longer want to participate because of this, then that's fine, of course. Just let me know.

Sorry to dissapoint!

Best wishes

Rebecka

Think i'll investigate Kemps then decide

I'm soooooo out the loop here?? How dd you get these letters?

We signed up for it back in June, it was mentioned in an issue of LK (I think May), I know they need lots of blank squares, this is the link for the website Knit A Poem

Thanks Buffy, that makes sense. I did wonder if it was being displayed outside, then thought I'd made it up, then got confused - happens easily to me! %-P I've got some Wendy EMU Superwash at home, but it's destined for a nice tank top. Will see what Kemps has in terms of colours. :cheese:

i got my pure wool today, for those who live near me who are doing this, the Haberdashers in Walsall town has some Elle pure wool at £2 for 50g,i got blue and yellow.

buzy, I'll email them and let them know what we're doing, cant see it being a problem though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[quote author="katynewknitter" date="1248281563"

buzy, I'll email them and let them know what we're doing, cant see it being a problem though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks katy. Will PM my email address asap. Will look tomorrow for wool. Apparently LYS has some for £1.50 in the sale but limited colours. Bet ther'es nothing nice. It's not the best of shops unfortunately.

Buzy