The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Su2ie

Torrential Tuesday

When we moved here the old couple didn't realise that you complete & move in the same day. This was the only house they lived in & they had it built for them. They also didn't realise they could make an offer on their retirement flat. Chris did it for them!!! Then we asked them to reduce the price of this house by the same amount which they weren't sure about!!! They said they'd sell us the lounge & dining room curtains. They were velvet, 40yrs old & very faded & they wanted £100!! We found out that they only paid £40 to have them made originally. We didn't take them up on their offer. Sometimes I don't think the elderly know how things work.

Hope you can move asap k&f & find some peace & quiet.

Boy you got a bargain - Will look forward to seeing your piccies. BTW -sorry to be dim but what are Odd Bods?

Buzy

£100 for 40-year-old curtains? What planet?!?!! :roll: Did they think they had antique value? :lol: Apparently we can complete as soon as all the legal paperwork is done, but I have to confess I'm not keen on completing unless I know I'm going to have the key in my hand on the same day or at least the same week. Fingers crossed everyone else in the chain puts their 2 pence worth in and the old lady is forced to move with everyone else.

Odd Bods are the creatures out of my birthday book that I've been wanting to knit. There's a very cute cat called Ginge Marmalade, who is first on my list. He's rather like my moggy, so I want to do him first. :cheese:

You complete your paperwork first, then transfer monies and move on the same day, otherwise you'll be paying for a place you aren't in! But you certainly don't want to complete when the move in date is so far away. Like you say hopefully she'll realise she has to move when everyone else agrees the date to be.

We bought our 1st house 3 yrs ago and as 1st time buyers we were the easy party...luckily it wasn't a big chain, 2 above the couple we were buying from. But the old lady at the top of the chain was causing all the problems as she kept changing her mind.

On the completion day, our monies had gone through at lunch time, therefore as our solicitor and estate agent told us...it was ours to move in to. The couple hadn't even started loading onto the removal van, they weren't fully packed up. They kept fobbing us off with tales of the fact that the house they were moving into wasn't ready, as I and the estate agents said...not our problem. We eventually got the keys around 8pm.

We were too tired to move in. Luckily as we still had another week on our rent, we had chosen to get our van for the next day (cheaper) - hadn't told them that!! But we did want to get in and clean up before hand. Also we wanted to sleep there! Also as the van had to be returned by 6pm I would've been furious!!!

K&F you reminded of me of when my sister was moving back to England from Germany (Forces).

The removal company packed her place up for her and it was such a god send.

My neice, then aged about 10 and cheeky with it, stood in the middle of the lounge, hands on hips and said 'If I stand still long enough they would probably pack me!' The removal guy , who was right behind her picked her up put her in a packing box and taped the top down! :lol:

My sister thought it was so funny she left her there for about 10 minutes, shouting for help.

Well it served her right for being lippy :-)

I've just had a MASSIVE splurge at Kemps' sale to cheer myself up. :cheese: I think it's going to triple my stash in one go - oops! I've got loads of different colours so I can knit some of the Odd Bods from my birthday book.

Oh, that reminds me, I have a technical question for you all: I've got an instruction in a pattern and I don't understand what the backward loop bit means. This is what it says: "cast on 2 sts using the backward loop method, with RS facing, ..." Now in the back of the book it gives you all the instructions of how to cast on (thumb and cable method), how to knit and purl and how to increase and decrease. It mentions loops on the increase page (make 1 left and make 1 right) - do you think the pattern is referring to that, rather than casting on? I'm confused! :-S

I bought a book today called 101 Designer Yarn Stash Wonders and one of the things in the glossary is Backward loop cast-on, i'll type here what it says

Hold the end of the yarn and a needle in your right hand. Hold the working yarn in your left hand. Bring your left thumb over the top, down behind, and up in front of the yarn creating a loop. Insert needle into loop on thumb as if to knit and slide loop onto needle. You may also use the loop cast-on to add stitches to the end of a row of knitting.

It looks like thumb cast-on to me, think it's an American thing. Hope this helps

Oh that's given me a smile Dee :-)

I think we all have tales to tell with moving. Me and my ex once had to help a couple pack as when we turned up with our van full of stuff they hadn't done a thing! They'd not even bothered to pre-pack anything, left it all to the day and didn't start until we arrived at lunch time with our stuff! And we had 2 small boys to look after too and their kids were older. It ended up a nightmare house too, just bodged everywhere diy wise!!!!

Oh and the survey said the attic was adequately insulated - when we looked up there it was covered with old carpets!