The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Su2ie

Torrential Tuesday

I've just had a MASSIVE splurge at Kemps' sale to cheer myself up. :cheese: I think it's going to triple my stash in one go - oops! I've got loads of different colours so I can knit some of the Odd Bods from my birthday book.

Oh, that reminds me, I have a technical question for you all: I've got an instruction in a pattern and I don't understand what the backward loop bit means. This is what it says: "cast on 2 sts using the backward loop method, with RS facing, ..." Now in the back of the book it gives you all the instructions of how to cast on (thumb and cable method), how to knit and purl and how to increase and decrease. It mentions loops on the increase page (make 1 left and make 1 right) - do you think the pattern is referring to that, rather than casting on? I'm confused! :-S

Well I've been knitting for almost 50yrs & I've never heard of this type of casting on. Sorry but not much help. Great to have a wooly splurge :cheese: What did you get? What colours? Sorry for being nosey - but I did used to like "Show & Tell" at school many moons ago :lol:

Buzy

Well, it's quite a long list Buzy! :cheese: I got lots and lots of Patons Wool Caressa DK in 9 different colours (well, what's the point in doing things by halves?!), erm, Sirdar Wool Hug in drift and murmur, erm..., and just 7 different colours of Patons Wool Jet. 33 balls altogether and only just a touch over £30 including the P+P. What a bargain!

I hope I can work out this backward loop thing it says to do in the book else my cat's feet might all end up floating detached beneath his body!

Have a quick house update. We've been given approximate moving dates of 2nd or 7th of Sept. "September?!?!!" I said incredulously? Apparently it's to do with an old lady who can't get her children to help her move before then. Guess she's not heard of removal companies. Mine are packing for me as I can't face it. You can get them to unpack for you too, so don't see her problem. Maybe it's 'cos I'm not old yet. I'm just impatient to be out of where I am. The noisy's are driving me mad! :down:

Glad you have your date K&F :-)

With the little old lady it might just be that she's trying to keep her costs down and is a thrifty old maid :cheese:

I know with my dad he would wait the extra to get free help even if my mum nagged him to get the removal men to do it for her!

Wow that's one fantastic buy too - I'd be itching to get my mitts on it! Bet you're already searching for patterns to knit with it!!!!!

I've already got the patterns from that Odd Bods book. I just needed lots of different colours that I could interchange to start knitting them. :cheese: Think I'll just have to have a bash at this backward loop thing and see if it works and as long as it looks OK that's all that matters. Hmm, I wonder if the author has a website where I can ask her what it means...?

Think you might be right about the old lady. It's just very disappointing as we were convinced we'd be out of there by August. Plus the neighbours are being more objectionable now it's hotter weather as they're out in their garden more. On Sunday they moved all their garden furniture to the corner of their patio nearest my bedroom window and sat chatting loudly about all their drunken exploits at 8am - a bit early on a Sunday to be woken up. I wasn't impressed. Last time I saw them to speak to, I asked how they were and they pointed at my Sold sign and said "how long" meaning until we move. How rude! I thought to myself as I replied politely "don't worry love we can't wait to get rid of you either". Grrrr!!!!! >:( :down:

Our last place in England was a nightmare in the summer. We couldn't see the people at the back due to very tall conifers but boy could we hear them! Loud music, foul language, drinking and the police constantly going round!! You do have my sympathies.

Our noisiest neighbour now has to be one of the women downstairs who is actually in the Garda! I think she likes to paaarrtay! Thankfully she does her partying out but is just noisy coming home.

K&F you will have to do a great big calendar of days left then put a big red cross through each day that passes and that way you will see definite movement towards your goal of being free!! :-)

That's a very good idea. I have a good calendar for that in the kitchen, a square per day - just right for big red crosses! :cheese:

The knot in my shoulders has moved so I'm now getting aches over the other side of my head. I think I'll have to investigate professional help to get rid of them this time. Someone mentioned osteopaths are good, so might do a search for local ones here. If I could get my cat to do his kneading in the right place on my shoulder his bony little paws would save me a packet, but he doesn't take orders from anyone! :roll: