The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
knittingporky

Wonderful Wednesday.

Oh thanks for the good luck sentiment Lauren and well done to you and your OH for kicking the habit too :) Must admit that's one thing I'm looking forward to, no more smoker breath! I have my fingers crossed he's made it through another day without the death sticks. I've been here so many times with him giving up now and failing and sometimes its difficult to find the right words to say to encourage him as I've not been a smoker myself, I always seem to do the wrong thing! I thought I was being mega thoughtful getting rid of the piled up ashtray out on the balcony (clearing it out made me heave) but then he said afterwards he wanted me to leave it there as a reminder for him to give up so I got that one wrong. Any tips on the best way to be supportive will be gratefully received :-)

Right now I'm looking for preemie baby cardigans on the net but finding an abundance of hats!

Get your blokes to take up knitting (just mention the lovely Jared Flood if they start quibbling) - it will give them something industrious to do with their hands plus de-stress them all at the same time! :cheese: Tell them I'll send them some shredded wedding dress to knit up when I'm done with it! :lol:

:lol: you made me smile K&F especially as I already suggested to him to take up knitting! He said he was okay with his radio controlled helicopter stuff thank you very much!!!!

Just keep him busy so he doesn't have time to think about it. Also try and tire him out so that he sleeps well and isn't narky because he's not sleeping. I'm making him sound like a toddler! Sorry!! Let him know you're always happy to chat about it but try not to bring it up constantly else you'll only be reminding him of it. Check out the NHS website because they should have free Stop Smoking guides available. Just asked OH and he said not to make it into a taboo or something that he feels he has to hide from you because then you won't know if he's 'relapsed' and is having the odd 'cheeky fag'.

Hope this helps!! I found it really useful to have an imaginary calendar and every day I didn't smoke, I gave myself a metaphorical gold star. If ever I got tempted (normally after a few beers) I'd remind myself how long I'd gone without one and decide that I didn't want all that hard work and effort to go to waste. I've tried a cigarette once since giving up and absolutely hated it and managed only one drag so I finally think I'm cured!

Hey, well done you Littlemiss! :-) I've never ever smoked so don't know what it's like to have to give up, but I've found setting myself little targets with good things at the end if I achieve them (the targets have to be really easy to achieve for it to work) helps me accomplish stuff that I would otherwise find hard or impossible to do, so if he can go a week he gets a small treat (chocolate bar, rent a movie/cinema, whatever) and if he does 10 days he gets another and so on. Another idea for the pot. :)