The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
RC7

Tension Squares (Checking Gauge)

Is checking your tension a waste of time and yarn?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is checking your tension a waste of time and yarn?

• Yes
    • No

I keep tension squares in a box for mending FO's when the family come back whining that they are broken. Why they always have to be in such a tizz about whether I can mend it...I don't know, I made it and yet they cannot figure out that I can mend it?

I think I will have to string up my son if he breaks the hat I'm making him - on circulars and dpns I might add but I think I will def keep some of the yarn for any fixes that need doing so good idea RC :-)

And why do people doubt fixing skills when you obviously used greater skills to create the item in the first place???

I think they just don't know much about being able to make things...plus hopefully they feel loved because you made it, so they are upset that it's broken now.

I wouldn't get cross about things getting damaged, it proves they were being used, and I'd rather that than they hate it and won't tell me so it is hiding somewhere. I mean if they are ruined by utter carelessness within a week I'd be disappointed, but it is more likely they have to remind me that I did make it in the first place...then I hunt the tension squares for a yarn match. Anyway with my DH's kids you just can't get annoyed about accidents, if it can be broken, they will find a way, I think the words "Oooops" is carved into their DNA. Thus, we shop for fixability, rather than unbreakable...and I knit for them the same.

Yes I too hope he loves the hat and wears it, not hide it but to tell the truth I'm more worried about his daft friends snatching it off his head and being spiteful to him because his mum knit it - if you know what I mean! Some of his friends can be very immature :long:

I think your DH's kids are very lucky for you to knit lovely stuff for them, my poor brother (now approaching 40) is still waiting for a school jumper from my mum so I'm surprised she managed to knit a scarf whilst she was here!!!! And for the record, she never does tension squares either :-)

Well I'd rather my stepkids lied than got vandalised because I knitted for them...how nasty of your son's friends, they are just jealous because your son has a smart Mum who can knit Suzie.

Well RC unfortunately his friends don't seem to have matured as quickly as my son who is 18. Do you remember Harry Enfields "Kevin"? Well a lot of them are like him. I know its not the fault of the parents either as I know the mum of one of them really well and she's a decent woman who despairs at her son's behaviour but our sons have known each other since they were 4 1/2.

Gonna have to request he goes out with his more sensible mates when he's wearing it I guess and funnily enough they're the mates who are a few years older than him, not his age!