The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
RC7

Tension Squares (Checking Gauge)

Is checking your tension a waste of time and yarn?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is checking your tension a waste of time and yarn?

• Yes
    • No

Look, I am trying to get people talking about this, not trying to establish the correct way to knit. IMHO, if you are using yarn and knitting needles and getting results you like, you are knitting and right. I just felt inspired by a few comments elsewhere to get a thread up about it.

Any suggestions for how to use tension squares for good purpose when you have loads lying around ?

Anyone want help with how to do one?

Anyone got a genius quick way to ensure your knitting works out alright without one?

I don't actually do a whole tension square. I knit a few rows then measure the stitches per 10 cm to gauge how close I am as a lot of patterns ask you to knit to a certain measurement not rows so I don't think a 10x10 square is always appropriate.

For all those tension squares though they could be made into a blanket and then you would have a little piece of everything you've knit :-)

I never do tension squares. Ever. Does that make me bad? My mum, who's been knitting since time began, never has and says she never will so I'm happy to follow suit.

I'm with Su2ie on what to do with them - stitch them together up to make a blanket. You could make tiny blankets for the neo-natal unit at your local maternity hospital for the babes in incubators. Or a great big picnic rig. Or you could use them to make a patchwork effect bag/jumper/jacket. Or a scarf? Certain charities ask for knitted squares and they in turn make them into blankets....

I never do tension squares. Ever. Does that make me bad? .

I don't think so, I think it makes you a person who does not knit tension squares.

Phew!

I'm with you on the missing blue thing RC. This site is frighteningly pink!

Hey you lot stop dissing pink! Okay its a given that this site is usually insipid pink but I like very vibrant in your face, need sunglasses Pink :coolsmile: You know the sort that you hate to see when you have a hangover :lol: