The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
ickle pickle

Yay, first issues here :)

Yay, I have just this moment sat down to check my emails and the postman has just kindly delivered the first copy of Sew & the latest copy of Crafts Beautiful too. So I am off for a read. I have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

much been looking forward to Sew, can you tell :cheese: %-P

:lol: Laverne. Oh you will adore it when it pops through your door, I am sure :)

The free dress/top pattern is adorable and so nice that is is an actual pattern too on dressmaking paper. No need for enlarging anything on wrestling with easy to rip paper patterns. I am definitely going to have a go at both of them for my teenage DD.

If you are prone to drool over sewing machines like myself then the show and tell feature pages 25 -29 is fab :) I am going to copy out the 10 reasons to buy a computerised machine out and leave them all over the house for my OH to see, to see if that will at last give him a large enough of a hint :lol: I have been trying now, most unsuccesfully for a couple of years :long:

There are lots of excellent reading features too; how to be a 3-stitch wonder (pgs 36 - 39) is great and the book yeah! I made it myself that it mentions proudly sits on my bookshelf (another sneaky Borders buy, shhhhhhhhhhhhhh red: ) The Cath Kidston and my obsession with anything retro (pg 46) went down a storm with me as did the Amy Butler interview on page 82. I also found the light fantastic feature (making your own stitched lampshades) very interesting indeed and added straight to my to try list :)

My ultimate favourite features were; a stitch in time, page 55. All about vintage inspiration. Although I doubt my OH will be as enthusiastic as my good self that it pointed me into the direction of the yummy Donna Flower vintage fabric online shop %-P The swatch watch on pages 58 & 59 were a hit with me also. I adore drooling over pictures of fabrics, although nothing can ultimately relpace owning them. But until I have figured out how to grow that elusive money tree at the bottom of my garden, then seeing them in print will have to surfice :) Another fav feature was tailor made on page 60 - 61 and of course it goes without saying with my craft book obsession the book reviews on page 62 went down a storm. I hope this and the fabric swatch features will be regulars, hint hint, nudge, nudge :cheese:

Project wise. I utterly adore anything kitsch and retro so the fancy a cuppa tea cosy and uber cute egg cosies are on the top of my to do list. They will go with our kitchen/family room perfectly as we are doing it up int the late 50s/60s kitsch retro style as I speak.

Then the fantastic retro home front apron on pages 67 - 69. That book has been at the top of my to buy list for agggggges now so I was bowled over to see one of it's patterns featured in Sew :cheese:

The spinning around, patternless circle skirt is next in line on my Sew magazine projects to do list, adorable :) Then the lovely Susie Johns picnic party ensemble on pages 57 - 58.

I have been meaning to try crazy patchwork for aggggggges now so that is alos up there at the top of my to do list along with the beaded beauties on pages 40 - 41.

Also being pincushion mad I must try the pins & needles pincushion and needlecase on pages 22 - 23

My little girl is all grown up now :down: but if she weren't I'd definately love to make the cute check it out dress on pages 64 - 65 and I already have the book :red: that features the flower girl project on pages 70 71 but I love applique so I think I'll have to attack something with the odd flower or two :cheese:

'n' last but not least, take a note by Sarah Beaman on pages 72 - 73 and frill and spills on page 34 - 35 are way too cute not to have a go at too :)

So all in all. I was MOST definitely not disappointed with the very eagerly awaited first issue of Sew. It is utterly fantastic and I am waiting with baited breath for the second issue to drop through my letterbox next month. The mix of written features and patterns is just perfect. Congratulations Laura, Sophie, Emily and everybody else involved with getting Sew onto the news stands, it was well worth the wait ;-)

Wow! We're glad you like it Ickle Pickle, we're actually still waiting for our copies to arrive in the office (nail biting stuff!!! ) :bug: So it's good to know it's being enjoyed elsewhere!

Thank you for your lovely comments, if you make anything from the mag we would LOVE to see it, and keep the feedback coming!!

Emily x