The Best Crafts Forums in the UK
Sign in to follow this  
Lacocklady

Household Help & Top Tips

I don't know if this has been posted but here I go. The best way to get rid of cat piss, especailly when it's not your cat that is doing it.

First you soak up the extra wee with old towel or kitchen towel. Then get a bucket and fill it with half water and half surgical spirit. With an old rag wet the area where the wee was or is and keep doing this until the smell goes. You might have to apply this every day.

I keep a spray bottle handy because my elderly cat was beaten up by this other stray cat which has been re homed now, anyway she is too frighten to go out side now, and uses a litter tray which I sprays daily to keep the smell away but on the odd day she has accidents and I have difficulty getting the to floor, so I spray with my bottle. It works a treat.

I wish I had found this out sooner because I had brought every bottle of crap that the pets and other people suggested using. Waste of money.

Can I ask for help in here, instead of sharing a tip? Oh well, tell me off if I am in the way....

Does anyone know how I could get stains that have dried onto radiators off, without turning the radiators off to cool down? They are food spills (that is a guess, but I am pretty sure), and obviously they have dried right on from the heat, but it is impossible to soak them to loosen the grip. I have very sensitive skin, so no idea about modern cleaning products, since I stick to what I know is safe, and I am not used to central heating either.

TIA

I am looking for advice on washing off that green mould that you get in corners or by the skirting board occasionally, the thing is that the walls are painted in a thin emulsion {eggshell paint I think} I have dry brushed it initially then used a damp cloth to wipe, I am too rub to hard incase I rub the paint away. I have this in my kitchen & I know that it is caused through cooking condensation during the winter months when it is far to cold to have the windows & door open.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Believe me when I say it's cold in my kitchen in the winter, I mean cold, I would be warmer if I opened the fridge & sat in there :)

Jx

Interesting thread. I have an edition of a magazine that had 101 natural cleaning tips, which work surprisingly well. Its always the edition that you can never find though :lol: I found it after 10 minutes of looking. Here are my favourites (I have tried a couple of them, but not all) Names and terms may be a little different as I live in Australia...

Make cutlery sparkle - Soak cutlery in a bowl or sink of hot water with three tablespoons of any type of vinegar added. Dry with a soft tea towel for smudge-free cutlery.

Sweet smelling and safe drain cleaner - Pour half a cup of bi-carbonate down the drain, followed by one cup of white vinegar. Mix together a litre of water with the juice of half a lemon and flush the drain with it. Do this once a week.

Prevent Mould - A cloth dipped in vinegar wiped over the bathroom tiles and walls will prevent mould developing.

Remove weeds without chemicals - Spray around and on the weed with white vinegar

Clean floors and tiles without chemicals - Use white vinegar on most stains and to mop floors and clean most surfaces.

Remove odours from your hands - To remove the smell of food such as raw fish and onion, lather your hands with water and bi-carbonate soda then rinse well. for garlic, rub your fingers with cut lemon and rinse with soap and water. (don't do this with cuts on your hands. Ouch!)

Clean splatters from a microwave - Fill a bowl with hot water, squeeze in some lemon juice and heat for a few minutes in the microwave. Then wipe the splatters away easily.

All-purpose cleaner - Dissolve a quarter of a cup of bi-carbonate soda in 500ml warm water, with the juice of a lemon. The bi-carbonate soda is a mild abrasive and deodorizer, while the lemon cuts through grease and dirt.

Clean Chopping boards - Keep wooden chopping boards clean and germ free by scrubbing weekly with a cut lemon sprinkled with salt.

Remove beetroot stains - Soak stained linen or cotton in cold water with 1 tablespoon of salt added. Then was normally.

Remove cooked on food from pans - Quarter fill the pan with water, add 2 tablespoons of bi-carbonate soda and soak

Clean your stainless steel sink- Make a paste of soda and vinegar. Apply to the sink with a soft cloth in a circular motion. Then rinse.

Remove or lighten oil stains from the driveway - Lightly wet the area and sprinkle over bi-carbonate soda or dishwashing detergent. Pour boiling water onto the area and scrub with a stiff-bristled brush. repeat if necessary.

Clean smelly running shoes - Sprinkle the inside with bi-carbonate soda.

remove carpet odours - Sprinkle with bi-carbonate soda vacuum up

Freshen your bin Sprinkle a little vinegar or lemon juice in the bottom

Glass shower doors -A weekly clean with a sponge dripped in vinegar to keep them shining.

Freshen a dishcloth - Soak overnight in hot water with vinegar.

Clean grout - Rub on white toothpaste or a paste of bi-carbonate soda and water. Use a toothbrush. Rinse with water.

Cleaning marks on walls - Dab with a piece of white bread sometimes works.

remove coffee stains from mugs and glasses - Rub stains with a damp cloth dipped in bi-carbonate soda *works really well*

I did not make these so I am not responsible for them. :)

Hope that helps some of you.

Lauren xx

Great info, it definitely helped me when I am the one who has to do all the cleaning up at home :down: Thanks a lot!!!