EsmeRose
EsmeRose

Advanced Member

• Members
    PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Members
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
I'm considering buying a die cutting machine and the Sizzix Big Shot and the Cuttlebug seem to both be quite popular, but I'm not sure which to get. Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone had both and prefer one to the other? How would you rate each with regards to the following:- -ease of use? -performance? -cost of dies? - choice of dies/ embossing folders? - compatibility with other die brands? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#2 Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

jewelsap77
jewelsap77

• Members
    PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Members
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
I havent used either cutting machine before but I have taken the plunge and ordered a big shot rather than the cuttlebug. The main reason i chose that one is because i know that I could use the cuttlebug dies in the big shot but wasnt sure if I could use the bigz xl dies in the cuttlebug and the fact that the big shot seems to look a lot more sturdy than the cuttlebug. I have heard that the cuttlebug tends to emboss a little better than the big shot. Have a look around and maybe type into google big shot vs cuttlebug and read as many reviews as you can. Sorry I cant be of much more help as my big shot hasnt arrived yet so havent had a chance to play with.

#3 Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

jojo1987
jojo1987

Advanced Member

• Members
    PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Members
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
hey, i;ve never used a cuttlebug before but i got a big shot for christmas just gone, theres tons of different branded dies on ebay that are reasonably cheap and work well. not embossed with it yet but love it for being able to cut easily. its really easy to use too, a little bulky (takes up half my spare shelf!) but love it, wouldn't change it for the world. obviously a one sided opinion though having not used the other option before xx
www.rainbowspraklescrafts.co.uk www.facebook.com/rainbowsparklescrafts

#4 Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Luckydawn
Luckydawn

Advanced Member

• Members
    PipPipPip
  • 5,455 posts
  • Members
  • LocationSkipton
I have the cuttlebug but have use of both at work, I find that the cuttlebug is much better if you have a smaller space to work in as the plates fold up and take up less space. I do find the plates on the Big Shot a little confusing. They are both great machines but if I had to make the choice I would stick with my Cuttlebug. You can use the thick Sizzix dies in the cuttlebug, you just don't use the base plate and they cut brilliantly as I have several and they are well loved and used :-) I have to admit that I use mainly spellbinders dies in my cuttlebug along with a few of the Mariannes dies. Hope this helps x
xDawnx
Would love to give up chocolate, but I'm No Quitter!

http://luckydawns.blogspot.com (updated 22.01.13)

#5 Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

maggie50
maggie50

Advanced Member

• Members
    PipPipPip
  • 43,457 posts
  • Members
  • LocationScotland
I had the bug for years and got the big shot at xmas, they are both great but I love that big shot does larger card and dies, space can be an issue but i keep it under my desk its got a nice handle on top for lifting it. :)

'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.' 

http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?r=571867 

#6 Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

jewelsap77
jewelsap77

• Members
    PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Members
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Well I have spent most of yesterday afternoon and little bit of yesterday evening playing with my big shot which arrived yesterday. Have to say i was worried about how complicated it was to use but neednt have worried as it is a piece of cake. Glad i made the purchase just need to start making some cards now out of the things I have die cut and embossed. Both of which are really easy to do on this machine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users